We chat about say goodbye to Kenyan academic, poet, and playwright Micere Mugo, Nigerian academic and author Kole Omotoso and talk about festivals and awards. Remember that you can support the work we do archiving African and Black literature via PayPal, Mobile Money, or Patreon starting at $3 a month. For more information please click here.
Here are the highlights;
Micere Mugo and Kole Omotoso passed away. Ama Ata Aidoo was buried in Accra in an event that was attended by the Ghanaian leadership as well as writers like Nuruddin Farah and Lola Shoneyin.
- Somaliland: Hargeysa International Book Fair 2023
- Kenya: Macondo Literary Festival 2023
- Kenya: Kakamega Book Festival 2023, Kakamega, Saturday, July 29, 2023.
- Benin: Festival International du Livre et des Arts Assimiles Du Benin, Cotonou, August 10 – 12, 2023.
- Germany: African Book Festival Berlin 2023 running in the German capital from August 25 – 27
- Kenya: African Book Fair, organised by Soma Nami Books, Nairobi, Kenya, August 1- 5, 2023.
- USA: Brooklyn Caribbean Literary Festival,Brooklyn, New York, USA from September 7 – 9, 2023.
- South Africa: Open Book Festival 2023, Cape Town, South Africa September 8 – 10, 2023.
- Reunion: Salon du livre Athéna 2023, Saint-Pierre, Reunion from October 5 – 8,
- Nigeria: Lagos International Poetry Festival 2023, Lagos, Nigeria, October 26 – 29, 2023.
- Cameroon: Grand Prix Littéraire du Mont Cameroun
- Cape Verde: Prémio Lhana de Literatura 2023
- Caine Prize for African Writing 2023
- Germany: Prix Premiere 2023
- Mozambique: Prémio Literário Carlos Morgado
- USA: Ursula K. Le Guin Prize for Fiction 2023
- UK: Royal Society of Literature Fellows