We chat about festivals with a focus on Soma Nami’s African Book Fair, award news, and an interview with Chief Nyamweya. Remember that you can support the work we do archiving African and Black literature via PayPal, Mobile Money, or Patreon starting at $3 a month. For more information please click here.
Listen to the podcast here;
We chat with graphic novelist Chief Nyamweya on how he got into writing graphic novels and the Trust novel which incorporates blockchain in the storytelling. Get your copy of the book by clicking here.
- Kalemba Short Story Prize 2023 shortlist
- World Fantasy Awards 2023 finalists
- British Fantasy Awards 2023 shortlist
- Palestine Book Awards 2023 shortlist
- Polari Prize 2023 longlist
Kakamega Book Festival and both Feira do Livro de Maputo wrapped up on July 29. Feira do Livro de Maputo started on 17th. Kakamega was a one-day affair.
Soma Nami’s African Book Fair
- Over 10,000 books from 50 countries across Africa
- Tuesday, August 2: Opening ceremony
- Friday: August 4, Mtama Road by Linda Musita (Down River Road)
- In conversation: Reclaiming The narrative and documenting culture – Tabu Osusa
- Storytelling and book reading with Isaac Munene, My Name Is Gungulele
- Book Reading and Cover Reveal: Intasimi Warriors 1 (Mwikali and the Forbidden Mask) and 2 by Shiko Nguru
- In Conversation: Writing The Contemporary Kenyan Story with Ciku Kimeria & Otieno Opondo
- Fireside Chat: Making space for African storytelling with Muthoni Muiruri, Wendy Njoroge, and Cynthia Mwangi.